Thursday, April 7, 2011

daily journal class recap 4-7-11

One thing I really liked about this class was how often we actually got to be creative in Creative Writing. The daily journals were really open-ended, and even though I didn't like doing the pictures as daily journals, I still think it was a good way to get thinking and start using our imagination. I also really loved the poetry unit.  I don't usually like poetry but I appreciate that you just gave us the basic format of a certain type of poem, and then let us run with it. It was nice to know that as long as I followed the specific rules for something like a sonnet, I could write about whatever I wanted and make it my own.  I'm also glad you let us work during class and at our own pace, because when kids feel rushed to write something we just focus on getting it done and not being good and creative writers.  If you just threw concrete due dates at us we wouldn't be growing as writers, which is something I think I accomplished this quarter.

Even though I really enjoyed writing poetry, I didn't exactly love writing stories, especially science fiction ones.  It's good to try something different, because I would never write a science fiction story on my own, but at the same time, I didn't think science fiction gave me a lot of room to be creative.  You can be creative by coming up with interesting story lines or plot twists, not just by throwing aliens and time travel into your paper. I also wanted to have more writing time and less lecture time, because once I get 'in the zone' to write, I just want to get all of my ideas down and start working.  If I can't do that write away, I get worried that I'll forget my great ideas and be less interested in writing because there isn't very much time left in class for me to do a lot of work. Overall, I really enjoyed this class and I honestly do think I am just that much closer to being a great writer because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment