Wednesday, February 23, 2011

daily journal 2-23

Today in psych we did a whole entire lesson about Freud, and we have barely even begun to cover everything.  Some of his stuff makes sense, and his conclusions I believe, are completely valid.  On the other hand, some of the stuff he came up with is absolutely nuts.  And did you know he was on cocaine for most of his career? Cocaine.  So why are we giving all this credibility to a cracked out psychologist whose experiments often had a sample study of 1? When all of that is taken into account, it's hard to believe even his most rational theories such as how our childhood affects our adulthood.  It also makes it a million times harder to believe the crazy stuff he came up with, like the fact that my dreams have symbolism and deeper meaning, that the washington monument was unconsciously constructed to resemble a penis, and that I see my own mother as competition for my father's affection and attention.  His theories may be popular and hit close to home for some people, but it seems like we're all forgetting that he wrote an entire book on how awesome cocaine is.  Yes, I'm the first person to admit that I wanted to marry my cousin when I was three and that I bite my nails now.  However, I refuse to believe that those two facts are some how related and intertwined in my psychological sub-conscious.  Yes, many girls grow up to marry men exactly like their own fathers. Having said that, I firmly believe that there are just as many girls that go for the losers as their are who go for the winners-regardless of what your own parents were like.  If you surveyed ten girls with great fathers, I'm sure you wouldn't see a huge range between the girls who married honorable men like their dads and those who married complete idiots.  Most men are either very good and mature people, or complete idiots.  The chance that your husband and your father fall into the same category is pretty good, but it doesn't mean that you unconsciously feel incestual emotions toward your family.  Freud was a crack head.

No comments:

Post a Comment